- Ministry of Advanced Education
- Board of Governors
- External Associations
- PD in 5
- Resources on Evaluating Teaching
- Assessing Your Own Teaching
- Continuing Your Professional Development
- Designing Learning Activities
- Engaging Learners
- Forwarding your Email to your own Email Address
- Gagne's Nine Events of Instruction
- Knowing your Learners
- New Mapping Data for MRC
- Planning Presentations
- Presenting Content
- Principles for Good Teaching
- Writing Learning Outcome Statements
- Accommodating Students with Disabilities
- Employee Advantage
- MRFA Subscriptions
- Standing Committees
- Department Communicators
- Joint Committees
- Ad Hoc Committees
- Faculty Centre
- Contract Faculty
- MRFA Elections
- MRFA Archive
- Schedule of Meetings
- Annual General Meetings
- Exec Meeting Minutes
- General Meeting Minutes
- Special Meeting Minutes
- Discussion Series
- Governance Chart
- Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the Faculty Centre have food/bar service and is there catering available?
- How do I keep up to date on MRFA business and activities?
- What provincial and national Associations is the MRFA a member of?
- What types of funding are available for faculty members?
- Where do I find information about hiring, tenure or promotion?
- Should I forward a grievance?
- Are faculty covered by labour code?
- Why log in to a member account on the website?
- What benefits do Contract Faculty Members have?
- What benefits do I have and how do I make claims?
- Where can I find the Faculty Tuition Refund Application form?
- When do Scholarships for Dependents come out?
- Why am I getting an access denied message when I try to visit some sections of the website?
- When are the General and Annual General Meetings of the MRFA?
- What do all these acronyms mean, and how are they important to me?
- What are the MRFA's committees and what role do they have in the University?
- How do I get an Account?
There are several ways to keep up to date on what is happening at or affecting MRU, the MRFA and Post Secondary Education more generally: attending General Meetings and reading the Monthly Reports, General Meeting minutes and Executive Board minutes.
The MRFA is a member of ACIFA (the Alberta Colleges and Institutes Faculty Associations) and, through, is a federated member of CAUT (the Canadian Association of University Teachers). The primary function of these Associations is to advocate for Post Secondary Education and the rights of faculty members: they provide a voice for faculty at the provincial and federal level, respectively. Visit their websites, linked above, for more information.
Through collective bargaining, faculty are eligible to apply for funding from a variety of sources. The forms are available at www.mrfa.net/forms
The Collective Agreement prescribes the general processes for contract and full time hiring and for tenure and promotion. Specific standards and criteria are developed by department hiring committees and GFC, respectively. For hiring criteria, contact your Chair, and for tenure and promotion criteria, go to mtroyal.ca – About Mount Royal – Offices and Governance – GFC – Tenure and Promotion Criteria. Tenure and Promotion Guidelines are available online as well.
The grievance process resolves problems around interpreting and/or administering the Collective Agreement. If a member thinks an article in the Collective Agreement has been violated, the MRFA, as a joint partner in the administration of the Agreement, can be consulted: firstname.lastname@example.org or 440.6192
The Collective Agreement is the only document which protects the terms and conditions of faculty employment in Alberta. www.mrfa.net/ca
By logging into your member account on mrfa.net you gain access to the MRFA's financial statements and negotiations reports. Also, if you have an mrfa.net account, you need to log in to register for events.
Please see our list of Contract Faculty Benefits in the documents section of mrfa.net.
Health care and dental benefit information is available on the Mount Royal University website.
For further information you can contact
Manager, Employee Services
The forms are available in the Reimbursement Forms section of the website (under Documents).
The criteria for refunds can be found in the forms and also in the Collective Agreement (article 18.2)
The forms for Scholarships for Dependents are always available on our website in the Reimbursement Forms Section. Criteria and deadlines for submission are included in the forms.
Some sections of the website are for members only (i.e.: faculty of Mount Royal University). Such areas include the Negotiations page and the financial statements. When you get the access denied message please log in to your account to be able to view the page. If you do not have an account please email email@example.com or call 440-6192 to have an account created for you.
The meeting dates and times are posted under the link Meetings in the upper navigation bar.
Previous meeting minutes can also be found here.
View the MRU Governance Chart for a broad view of governance at MRU from the Faculty Perspective. Each committee is linked to its charter.
1. AUCC: The Association of Universities and Colleges of
An organization that, among other things, provides recommendations for accreditation to colleges and universities
Visit www.mrfa.net/AUCC to find out more
2. CAUT: Canadian Association of University Teachers
CAUT provides a collective voice for Academic staff across
Visit CAUT's website for more information
It is an advocacy group that represents the faculty in Alberta Colleges regarding education issues and policy
Visit ACIFA's Website for more information
4. GFC: General Faculites Council
A new body that is, in part, responsible for academic policy decisions within
Visit http://www.mrfa.net/GFC for more information
All committe information, including descriptions, contacts, and events can be found here.
If you require further information about these committees please contact the executive assistant (6192) or contact a member of the committee. Committee member list is available here.
If you want to get involved in MRFA's committees please view the upcoming elections page to see which positions will be available in the annual Spring elections.
Please contact the MRFA Executive Assistant to have an account created for you.
To have an account set up for you Include in your e-mail:
Name-first and last
Preferred Password (you will be able to change your password in the "My Account" section at any time).